Friday, April 2, 2010

WINTER IN THE SUMMER

It is a magnificent day in New York today – sunny and warm (+16°C in the morning with a promise to reach +25°C!) and the city is alive and happy in anticipation of a beautiful weekend. It is going to be a busy one too. Easter and Spring Break always attract crowds.

Today’s picture is of a very dear to my heart place - the Rockefeller Center Ice Rink. On my first visit to New York I stayed just steps away from the Rockefeller Center, and it was the first place I went to see. Looking at the Rink, I thought that if I lived in NY I would surely be skating here all the time. Many years later, I still have this feel of excitement whenever I look at the skaters. And yes, I skate too, not as often as I thought I would though. It is always special and a lot of fun. The trick is not to expect it to be any sort of serious sport or artistic expression activity! It is just for the mood – the lights, the music, the surrounding. One of those New York moments.

By the way, it is a popular place for marriage proposals. There is even an Engagement Package that is being offered for such an occasion, to make it more… romantic, I suppose. And speaking of – the best time to skate with romance in mind is the last couple of hours on Friday and Saturday when the Rink is open until midnight. It is not too crowded, kids are in bed (for the most part), and the mood is festive but mellow at the same time. It is especially pleasant when the weather is warm, like today. Hm… Writing about it, I am realizing I haven’t done it for a while. I think I have just made plans for tonight!

The Rink will be open until April 18th this year, so if you want to catch the skating time, or if you are in a proposing mood – you still can make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment